The recent emergence of new media is groundbreaking in the study of communication. Besides providing us more ways to connect with others (friends, acquaintances, business partners, or even the unknown), these media encourage a more interactive, casual and instant mode of communication.
I remember when I was young (say, 8 years old), whenever I wanted to reach friends, I either phoned them or met them in person. After I got a desktop at 9, finding friends has been much easier: ICQ, MSN, facebook and twitter. And now, with smartphones at hand, not only can you call and text them but also see them on your mobile's screen and "whatsapp" to a group of friends. Internet-connecting computers and smartphones make lives in 21st century more convenient.
Digital media also entertains our lives. Apart from following juicy news posted on facebook and twitter, YouTube is my window to the latest music, film, animation and fashion trends. I enjoy watching viral videos on this platform and share anything seems interesting to others to facebook. My "friends" may comment on my sharing and I can start conversations with them. Indeed, facebook maintains my social life; I can reach my "friends" whenever and wherever I can access the internet.
reblog from gunes in wonderland
Speaking of sharing, this blog is not merely for you to read my thoughts and comment on them but also for me to experiment new media writing, since I am taking a course called Writing for New Media in my university. Hopefully, I will know the dynamics of writing blogs (with your help) and more about social media marketing.

ICQ and MSN are coming to an extinction thanks to Facebook. They could be a collective memory of many people.
ReplyDeleteCommunication technology changes over time. A more physical example would be mobile phone. Six years ago, most of us were still using candybar phones in 2G. Look what we have got right now: iPhone and smartphones with uncountable apps that dominate our social lives.
ReplyDeleteLike what you've suggested, early-invented technology may have become collective memory; but what it signifies is, we're moving toward a better and more efficient world of communication.
Agree with Ivan!! I miss ICQ too!! haha!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, it seems to me that these softwares for online social networking, namely ICQ, MSN, Facebook has been advancing their functions from time to time.
ICQ: mainly for sending text messages
MSN: sending text messages and photos
Facebook: it almost includes everything, e.g. chatting, updating statuses, sharing photos and games (Happy Farm, yea?)
So I wonder what kind of online tools we will have in the future for social networking... Because I feel like it won't be just Facebook forever but something more will be coming up!!!! :)